Organizations Using the Internet
Modified 13 July 2002
Cuba timeline, from ``Encyclopedia Britannica''
- 1492 -- Christopher Columbus claims Cuba for Spain
- 1868-1878 -- ``Ten Year's War'' with Spain for independance
- 1895 -- Second war of independence with Spain
- 1898 -- Spanish-American war started with explosion of U.S.S. Maine in Havana harbor.
- 1899 -- Cuban independance from Spain, followed by U.S. occupation, control of Cuban foreign and internal affairs, and establishment of U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay in 1901.
- 1902 -- Tomas Estrada Palma elected first Cuban president
- 1905-1906 -- Period of rebellion
- 1906-1906 -- Second period of U.S. occupation
- 1909 -- New Cuban administration of Jose Miguel Gomez took office, established pattern of graft, corruption, injustice toward Afro-Cubans, and inequalities in distribution of wealth, continued through following presidents and dictators.
- 1952 -- Former Cuban president General Fulgencio Batista overthrew government of president Carlos Prio Socarras, established a dictatorship.
- 1953 -- Communist revolutionary Fidel Castro began organizing rebel force to overthrow Batista. Led attack on military barracks, most of his forces were killed, Castro imprisoned.
- 1955 -- Fidel Castro and his brother Raul released on political amnesty, continued campaign from Mexico
- 1956 -- Castro and armed expedition of 81 men landed on Cuban coast. All were killed except Fidel, Raul, Che Guevara, and nine others. The survivors escaped into Sierra Maestra range of southwestern Oriente province, waged guerrila war.
- 1958 -- Castro's tiny force overthrew Batista
- 1960 -- Castro made trade agreement with USSR, ties with US broken.
- 1961 -- U.S.-backed Bay of Pigs invasion failed
- 1962 -- USSR installed ballistic missiles in Cuba, nuclear war between the US and USSR averted when missiles were removed
- 1975-1989 -- Cuban expeditionary forces fought in Angolan civil war on side of Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola.
- 1978 -- Cuban troops assisted Ethiopia in defeating invasion by Somalia
- 1991 -- USSR collapsed, surprising Castro and ending generous subsides to Cuba
- Present -- Powerful Cuban-American political lobby maintains U.S. embargo against Cuba and peculiar laws (e.g., Cuban cigars are illegal to possess in the U.S.)
Internet pages include:
- Cuban American Veterans Association http://www.cava.org
- Cuban American National Foundation http://www.canfnet.org/
- Cuba Independiente y Democratica http://www.cubacid.com/
- Free Cuba Foundation http://www.fiu.edu/~fcf/whatdone.html
- Junta Patriotica Cubana http://www.vais.net/~cabenedi/
- Grupo de Apoyo a la Disidencia http://www.gad.org
- Information on anti-castro forces: http://www.Rose-Hulman.Edu/~delacova/belligerence.htm
- PCC -- Partido Comunista de Cuba (Communist Party of Cuba) -- http://www2.cuba.cu/politica/webpcc/
- Information on Cuban espionage in the U.S.: http://www.Rose-Hulman.Edu/~delacova/cuban-espionage.htm
Intro Page Cybersecurity Home Page